American Academy of Dermatology
Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants
Washington State Medical Association
Washington State Medical Assistants
Effective July 1, 2013, the new medical assistant profession created by ESSB 6237 will impact current health care assistants, assistive personnel, medical assistants not currently credentialed by the Department of Health, and their supervisors.
Major provisions of 2012 Engrossed Substitute Senate Bill 6237 include:
• The medical assistant profession is established on July 1, 2013.
• Two categories of medical assistants impacting dermatology are certified and registered.
• The current health care assistant profession is phased out beginning July 1, 2013 with active credential holders transitioned to a medical assistant credential.
• Medical assistants will work under the supervision of a physician, physician assistant, registered nurse or advanced registered nurse practitioner.
Important areas for dermatologists:
Scope of Practice
• Registered MAs (scroll to Subsection 4)
Written instructions prior to procedure
Department of Health Medical Assistant Webpage
E-mail DOH with questions/comments at email@example.com